Take A Look at Disney

4/19/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: Music Land

Hello and welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase.   Today on Showcase, we'll be crossing The Sea of Discord to visit two islands.  Check the map down below to see.


We are going to The Land of Symphony, an island filled of classical instruments such as a violin who rules as Queen and The Isle of Jazz, which is ruled by The King of Jazz, a saxophone.



The Plot


Here  again, this plot was rather simple.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but in a way, it reminded of Romeo & Juliet.  With two rival islands and  the two heirs falling in love but instead of people,  instruments are used and it works rather nicely and they come together to form a nice melody.  While simple,  I enjoyed it.


Characters

I'll be breaking it down into Main & Supporting here.   Now I must admit one thing that was a bit hard to follow is that while  there was no actual words,  the instruments spoke in the form of what they are.   It was a bit distracting but I understand why they chose to go that route for the short.



Main Characters


The Prince of Jazz



It's hard to describe the characters in this short because while they do have a personality, it's hard to describe because  they're so unique.  The Prince of Jazz is an all right character and it's fun to see him interact with the princess of symphony  (btw these are just names I gave them).   It's cute to see him and the princess woo each other. It's nothing more than a simple romance but it is rather affectionate. 


The Princess of Symphony 



Here again, it's hard to describe to these characters but she is cute and she does return the advances made towards her from the Prince. Though, the Queen and her mother does not approve and has the Prince locked in a metronome


They really play up the music theme




Supporting Characters



The King of Jazz


Now unlike our two main characters, the personalities for the supporting characters was easier to define. The King of Jazz loves to have fun and always willing to have a swinging good time but when he gets a  note from his son (done in the style of music notes no less), he puts aside his fun to save him.   He's a simple character but he's fun.


The Queen of Symphony


Now while The King of Jazz loves to have fun, The Queen of Symphony is a stuffy old shirt to tie into the theme and and show the difference between the two islands.  She is probably the most annoying character but that's needed and I should add at the end, The King and her and fall in love.



My Final Thoughts

This is an okay short.  It was bit hard to follow at points but that made it more interesting to watch and try to decipher what was going on.  Now  I'm not going to call this a bad short because it left me confused at some points. No instead I'd say parts of it were challenging while watching but I'm always up for a challenge and I think I came out rather strong.  Join  me next time,  when  starting next week I take a look at 4 more Mickey Mouse adaptions of classic literature.  Starting With Mickey's version of..

A Midsummer's Night Dream



Now I know some of you may recall that on my Mickey for Classic Shorts Showcase, I said that I wouldn't review this one. Well that was back when I thought it came out in 2000 but it actually came out one year prior and it does fit the rule as it is an adaption of an already established story and this isn't the first time, I broke this rule I set up as I did the same thing with John Henry and L'il Bad Wolf. 








4 comments:

  1. Excellent look at old school shorts. I can't wait for Midsummer Night's Dream. I love that one! Goofy as Puck is just awesome!! Also I'm going to finish Musical March Madness tonight. I'm going to have a ton of Sing Along reviews up tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, Midsummer Night's Dream in my opinion has to be the oddest adaption featuring Mickey but it was a lot of fun even if I do feel at somewhat of a disadvantage in that I know next to nothing about the play. After that, it'll be Around The World In 80 Days and then Gulliver Mickey.

      Delete
  2. I quite enjoyed this short. The story is pretty basic, but the way it's conveyed is very creative. The sax prince, and the symphony princess communicate in unique ways, and it's a pretty nice showcase of Disney's strength of utilizing music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This short is really good and I do agree that it works in showcasing music well.

      Delete