Take A Look at Disney

6/29/12

Top 6 Disney Dances





Hello and welcome back.  Today, I'll be counting down what I consider the Top 6 Best Disney Dances.  They can be animated or live action.   Also I want to thank everyone who left a suggestion in the ME Forum thread as that helped to shape this list and made me rethink some of my choices.    Though I do apologize in advance that not all of the suggestions will appear on the list.  Though I do have some honorable mentions that I'd liked to link you guys to,   Once Upon A Dream, & I Think I'm Going To Like It Here.  


6.  So This is Love - Cinderella







Okay, admittedly this one came to me at the last moment but as soon as I thought of it,  I knew I had to include it.  It is a very calm and soothing dance.  Prince Charming and Cinderella's movement are so fluid  as it looks as though they are just walking on air. It is such a joy to watch and it just leaves you with a warm feeling inside.


5.  Kingdom Dance - Tangled







Okay, I have to thank Jason On The House for suggesting this one.  I don't know I could've overlooked this number. This number just feels celebratory and that is really good.  It feels like a coming together of the town to celebrate life and that is just a fun number and everything in this one is great as it builds up slowly over time from a small group to almost the entire town.



4.  Are We Dancing  - The Happiest Millionaire







Now this is the only one on the list that I have not seen but it does look like a good film.   I think the the reason I like this number is because it is a nice quiet moment between two people who are in love. They are able to get away from the crowd and have time to themselves. In many ways, it reminds me of  So This is Love in how the two couples get that intimate moment to themselves.  Here they are free to be themselves and while the dancing may not be the best,  it is still a pleasure to watch as you see these two lovers come closer together.



3.  Beauty and The Beast - Beauty and The Beast








Originally, this was going to be my number one but thanks to one suggestion that was mentioned by more than one person,  I had to move up two slots to # 3.    Again with this dance,  it is a very tender moment between the two characters.  I think one thing that works really selling this dance is the scope and seeing how big the ballroom is.  I feel that immerses the audience into this dance much more.  Another thing I really like about this dance is that while Mrs. Potts may be singing, you get some great expression from Belle and Beast without any dialogue.  I love the touch of Beast gulping showing that he's nervous about dancing but as the dance goes on, you can see how happy the two are together.


2. Seize The Day (Chorale) - Newsies







Man,  I love the choreography in this number.  Whereas most of the other dances on this list come from a place of happiness.  That isn't the case here.  I think that I'd say this one was born  out of frustration. At the same time, I wouldn't call it a dance filled with anger. While I do get the feeling that they are fed up through this dance,I don't think it has the right type of passion to be an angry dance.  It's hard to explain why I like this dance so much but it expresses the frustration that the Newsies are feeling in a unique way.








1. Step In Time - Mary Poppins







Yep, this is the one I saw mentioned that I realized I had to put at # 1.  I think out of all the dances seen today, this one is the most fun and perhaps the most nonsensical. But that works and it is also the longest and while that does show, it is still a fun watch because of the choreography.  Watching this dance,  I get a sense of aw and wonderment.  Just wondering how the pulled off certain things.  Also  I really love the transition from the rooftops to the Banks house and how the dancing doesn't stop and they get the family in on the dance.   Though I'd have to say my favorite moment of this dance is seeing the chimney sweeps dancing on top of the chimneys and then jump in them and jump out again.  It just looks so flawless the way, they do that.   The dancing is the true star of this number.  It is amazing how it stands out and for that reason, I had to give it the # 1 spot.


There you have it, my Top 6 Disney Dances. Again, I'd like to thank everyone that suggested a dance sequence.  I apologize if you one suggested didn't make it on the list.   Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment