Take A Look at Disney

11/17/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: A Cowboy Needs A Horse (For BigBlackHatMan)

Well, my friend.  I know I'm late but happy second anniversary.   I wanted to do something to celebrate for you and this short instantly came to mind. So, I hope that you enjoy my look at A Cowboy Needs A Horse.



The Plot


The short opens on a little boy who is fast asleep in his bed and then it enters his dream and we see that he is dreaming of being a cowboy in the old west.  With a clever touch,  his bed becomes his horse and out of thin air, his hat and his spurs along with a rope are drawn by a giant pencil. Along with the notes to a song.  This same pencil at the end of the short erases them.  Then from there, we see this little boy have many different adventures such as being attacked by Indians.
















The  little boy then sits down with the Indian chief after having captured the Indians and we see him smoke the peace pipe but instead of smoke, bubbles come out.  I thought that was a really cute moment.
















We also see the boy engage in other activities such as stopping a stage coach from being robbed,   saving a train from going off course and saving a damsel in distress.  Though the little boy rejects a kiss from the damsel in distress. I should also note that he is offered a reward from the driver of the stagecoach but he also rejects that.








Then the dream portion ends with the little boy falling back to sleep as his cowboy gear is slowly taken away by the giant pencil mentioned at the beginning and the short ends with him asleep safe and sound in his room with visual references to his dream.





I thought this was very cute short and it was a fun look into this child's dream and I'm sure there are plenty of young boys who had dreams like the one the little boy had here. Now as you may have noticed, there really isn't one single plot but how many dreams do we remember tell a concrete story. I'm not saying that's not the case but I think the nature of trying different things works better here.  It was just so much fun getting to watch this kid have his dream of being a cowboy.  




Character


The Little Boy 





Bar none, one of my favorite things in this short had to be watching this little boy.  It was just so much fun seeing act out these different cowboy scenarios and how serious he took himself, was rather cute.  It was a really fun treat and he has to be one of the most adorable characters, I've seen in a short in a long time.


Music


A Cowboy Needs A Horse








Okay, this video  named the little boy, Johnny but he was never given a name in the short, so I'll just stick to referring to him as The Little Boy.  Perhaps one of my favorite things about this short had to be the song.  I just find it to be rather cute.  I seem to be using that word a lot here.  It's just a really nice song but how this boy wants to be a cowboy and we get to see that in his dream.  


My Final Thoughts


This is a short that is very good. I highly suggest it as I think it is one of the best Disney shorts, I've seen recently.  I feel that it captures the dream of being a cowboy quite well.  This is another short that I would say is beautifully simple.  It is a very simple short with a basic outline but it worked so well with the simple premise in telling the story.   Once again, happy 2nd anniversary BigBlackHatMan.   Now I want to end with  this a song that is also a tribute to being a cowboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment