Take A Look at Disney

11/17/12

Toy Story In The Parks





Well, all right guys.  I've decided to talk some more about of the attractions at the parks and this time, I've decided to turn my attention to Toy Story.   Strap in, folks.  This is a going be another long article as there is a lot to get through.  




The All New Woody's Roundup  - Disneyland 




The All-New Woody's Roundup was a show at Disneyland around the time of Toy Story 2's theatrical release. It took place at The Golden Horseshoe Saloon.  The entire premise of the show is that you the audience were going to a live taping of Woody's Roundup.  In the show, Stinky Pete was the bad guy and had trapped Jessie in a cave and your announcer, Wilson Netherspoon  would ask the audience what to do and sometimes try to drag out the show. Which was funny because Woody would stop and say something like, "These people don't want to stay for an hour, when they could be riding Big Thunder Mountain". Just the idea of Woody breaking the fourth wall was really funny to me.  And also, I don't know how well, you can make it out but everything on the stage other than Wilson and the curtains is indeed in black & white as to  give it the feel of a children's show from the 1950's.  I only ever saw this once and I was probably 10, when I saw it and I really liked it but it was it was such a long time ago that I saw it, that I only remember certain details of it.




Now I can't speak for how  well, the settings capture a 1950's children's show a la Howdy Doody but it was a neat idea to have a live show. Now let's stay with the things that I've been on as we go to Tomorrowland as we go to infinity and beyond.




Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (also known as Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlasters and Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast)  - Disneyland, The Magic Kingdom,  Tokyo Disneyland, Disneyland Paris






The best way to describe my relationship with this attraction is by asking a question.  Have you ever fallen in love with a game, you aren't very good at?   Well, that is  this ride.  Yes, this is one of  those rides that is also a game and to me that's pretty cool. The premise is simple, your new Star Command recruits that are going on your mission to stop the Evil Emperor Zurg from  stealing the fusion cells (batteries) that power vehicles of the Little Green Men.   Now you have your laser and you want to shoot the targets with Z's on them and if you noticed the named, I used  as that is what's called at The Magic Kingdom, I mentioned the word, Spin.   Well, your vehicle has a what I've come to call a joystick as that what it looks like that can turn your vehicle around so that you can get as many of the targets as possible.  Now one of my favorite things about this ride is the queue and how your mission is explained.  At The Magic Kingdom, your mission briefing is done on a View-Master with the reel actually moving to show you what you'll be doing. 




For me, that's a bit of nostalgia attached to that as besides Lego, growing up, I had a tone of View-Master and I'm just estimating here but I think that I have over 100 reels.  So getting to see an oversized View-Master like that is pretty cool.  Now Buzz would be standing next to it, going over what you as a new Space Rangers must do.





Okay, I must be honest as cool as Buzz looks, there is something a little creepy about his face. I can't put my finger on it Also on Disneyland, the briefing is done on an Etch A Sketch. 





As cool as that is, I prefer the View-Master.  Now, another great piece in the queue line is that there is a blueprint of your vehicle on a Magna Doodle (Do they still sell those?) 




Okay, I must say that I love this one and I think that I've made it rather clear that I'm a big fan of this ride.  This is one of my all time favorite rides at The Magic Kingdom. I have to make sure that I get the chance to go on it.  Okay, now let's move away from the attractions to ones that I'm not that as familiar with.  Let's start by going to Paris to take a look at something, I didn't even know about until I started work on this article.


Toy Story Midway Mania - Hollywood Studios/Disney California Adventure 






Now this next ride is a bit similar to that of the Buzz Lightyear, I talked about previously.  Seeing as it is a game/ride hybrid.  It's a carnival type attraction with different games and here is a list of the games. 


Pie Throw Practice Booth (pie toss target practice game, a no points introduction)
Hamm & Eggs (egg throw game now featuring Buttercup from Toy Story 3)
Rex and Trixie's Dino Darts (dart throw game; once Bo Peep's Baa-loon Pop)
Green Army Men Shoot Camp (baseball throw / plate breaking game)
Buzz Lightyear's Flying Tossers (ring toss game)
Woody's Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' Gallery (suction cup shooting game)
Each guest's score is recorded by an onboard display screen as points are acquired with individual toy cannons firing simulated projectiles at virtual targets. Toy Story characters includingWoody, Hamm, Buzz Lightyear, Rex and Trixie appear during the attraction's different games.


Now another one of the big things I noticed when I went on my last trip seeing as I only got so far as the queue area for this ride is that it also tries to make the guest feel as if they are the size of a toy.   I love the little things such as the giant Candyland board and two giant view master reels and you also see Andy's name as well.





Another notable thing about this attraction in it's queue area is Mr. Potato Head.  




Now you may noticed that Potato Head has his ear in his hand.  Well, Potato Head is the first Audio-Animatronic that can remove part of his body and put it back.  He can also interact with guests and recognizes events such as a anniversary or honeymoon.  This is mostly done through pre-recorded dialogue provided by Don Rickles.     





Woody's Roundup Village  - Disneyland Paris




Woody's Roundup Village is a meet & greet for the characters of Woody's Roundup.  There are also other characters dressed in cowboy getup such as Goofy and I think one of the things I like and how it adds a sense of realism to them is that there is a lot of  Woody's Roundup.  Now, this meet and greet  area is located in Frontierland. 




Okay,  I must be honest as much as I do like the memorabilia, I think like the idea of guests getting to take their picture on Bullseye and as stated, you can get pictures with other characters in cowboy garb. 









Now apparently during Christmas, Santa takes over and it becomes Disney's Santa Claus Village 




That's pretty cute and for those wondering,  Woody and the gang don't get pushed out as they still make appearances from time to time during the Holiday season but it looks to be more about Santa and his reindeer around that time of year. Also, I didn't mention it but I did find a picture of Stinky Pete here but it didn't look like a walk around character but rather just something you could stand next to. And I just realized something even though I said these were inspired by Toy Story, that really isn't the case with these first three as they certainly borrow more from Toy Story 2. Best movie in the trilogy, so nothing wrong with that.






Now moving on, we will be staying on the international side as we take a look at a land that exists at both Disneyland Paris' second gate and as of right now,  the newest Disney park. That is until Shanghai opens in  2015.   I give you...


Toy Story Playland/ Toy Story Land - Walt Disney Studios Park/Hong Kong Disneyland


  

The whole premise of this land as with a lot of Toy Story attractions is to make the guests feel as though, your a toy with all the oversized toys and that this takes place in Andy's backyard.  If that's the case then, this land is clearly set before Toy Story 3 and I would imagine after 2 as Jessie has an eatery named after here. I know, it's dumb that I'm trying to figure out where this land would fit in chronologically with the Toy Story canon. Also if this is  supposed to take place in Andy's backyard, damn that's a big backyard and also have to say that Andy either had a lot of friends help him or he has one wild imagination. Also nice to see the Pixar ball make an appearance.  Also there a few other things that I feel really add to making this feel like your a toy in a child's backyard.  




Those are big and I just love how Buzz towers over the guests.  Now one of the big differences between the lands are the rides but that's minimal at best. Now seeing as I've already gone over one of the rides from Toy Story Playland in the past, RC Racer. I'll just repost what I originally said.


RC Racer


Now we come to another ride that I have not been on. Though that is due in part that I have never been to Disneyland Paris. Now if you'll recall my Top 6 Toy Story Characters That aren't Buzz or Woody, I said that RC was my favorite Toy Story character. I first learned about this ride when I was checking out the Bonus Features on my Toy Story 3 DVD and needless to say I was ecstatic to see that my favorite Toy Story character had been given his own ride. Now this ride is part of the Toy Story Playland that can be found in Disneyland Paris and at Hong Kong Disney. Now I don't know if it has opened in Hong Kong Disney but the lands will basically be the same and Hong Kong Disney will also have this ride. Now the ride is pretty basic as it is just your launch or shuttle ride as it shoots you up really fast and then you come back down backwards. Now as you can clearly see, you get to ride on RC and from what I saw on the video for this ride, they included the dialogue of Buzz and Woody from the first film when they used RC to catch up to the moving truck. Now you may have noticed the track is the Hot Wheels orange that most of their tracks and that was intentional as they wanted you to feel as though you were on a Hot Wheels track. Even though RC isn't an Hot Wheels car, at least I don't think so. Anyways, this ride may be simple but it looks like a lot of fun and I wouldn't mind seeing it come stateside. I mean Hollywood Studios can house it at Pixar Place where they are putting Pixar based attractions and I might add the entrance is a nice touch as they made it look like the entrance to Pixar Studios but I'm getting off track.





Now that we have gone over that cool looking ride, let's move on to the other attractions. And let's visit,  Slink to see his ride.  


Slinky Dog Spin (Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin) 




Okay, the idea for this ride just makes me laugh. Slink is basically chasing his tail and the riders ride in his coils as he chases his tail.  This ride is basically a caterpillar ride. In which, it goes so fast that the intensity causes riders to crash into each other. Unless of course, you go on by yourself and I did that Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, here in VA.  It wasn't the smartest thing because as soon I got off of it, I was sore.  Still, I think if I ever went on this ride, I'd just be laughing because the premise is so silly. Now next up,  we go see the Green Army Men



Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop



Now I gotta be honest here and say that I don't know how I feel about a parachute ride. Mainly because I've never been on one but I will say that theming makes perfect sense as I assume it is meant to make you feel like one of those little green soldiers that came with those cheap parachutes that you could attach to them.  Maybe it'd be but I just don't think I'd go on it.  



Now that we've gone over the rides, let's take a look at the stores and places to eat.  First up is Jessie's  Snack Roundup 





Okay, I just love the design of this snack bar as it looks like a kid's meal and you know in an odd way, you could almost connect this to the theme of this land being Andy's backyard and say that Andy was having lunch and put his lunch down and then went to go play with toys.  Now this one can be found in both Hong Kong and Paris. Unlike our next one. Now let's move onto the shopping.   First there is Barrel of Monkeys 



Barrel of Monkeys





Well, it just looks like your average gift shop bit it's a giant Barrel of Monkeys. Nothing wrong with and I see that they sell Sheriff Woody hats. Cool! But the important question is, do they sell Barrel of Monkeys?  It looks like they do but I can't confirm that one but if they don't, that'd just be dumb.  Well, this is majority of the information I could find on Playland. I'm sure I might have forgotten a few minor things but I think  I've covered the important stuff.  Also apparently Hong Kong Disney's Toy Story Land has a giant Woody.




All right, we have a few things to talk about. First up, let's head over to Tokyo for Horseshoe Roundup.




Horseshoe Roundup - Tokyo Disneyland





So the Horseshoe Roundup is basically a character lunch and show. Where the audience eat and watch a show starring Woody, Jessie, and Bullseye.  Not bad and I have to say I watched a video of this and it looked pretty fun.  Although I must say that some of the people when  they got up and dancing, looked like they felt awkward.   I don't know but I think I would have a blast at this.   All right, let's head to Hollywood Studios.  




Pizza Planet - Hollywood Studios 



Now I've mentioned Pizza Planet in the past and again, I haven't been to it but I've heard mixed things about it at best.  If you click, this link, you'll see the menu.  Now besides the menu, you'll see a lot of Toy Story characters within here.  Such as Potato Head.




The Aliens and Buzz as well. 





Now we might be seeing this go away as it has been reported that Hollywood Studios will be getting an expansion that'll include a Tangled musical, a Star Wars themed land and retheme of this eatery to Gonzo from The Muppets.  Now before anyone asks, how that works. Well that actually was the original plan as there was supposed to be a Muppet section in the park and the Gonzo pizza place was part of it.  Now we stay in Disney World as as we go to Downtown Disney and go to DisneyQuest.  The interactive theme park that heavily relies on theming of video games to look at something I've always described as a hybrid of bumper cars and dodge ball.




Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters  - DisneyQuest





As I said, the best way to describe this attraction is bumper cars meets dodge ball.  Now again, I haven't been on this ride but that's only because I ran out of time, when I went to DisneyQuest.   The main idea is that you are in these cars and your drive over asteroids (balls) and pick them up. Your under attack and you have to shoot at your opponents. Simple as that, really.  You drive and shoot. This almost sounds like something from a video game but for DisneyQuest that makes sense as the idea fro DisneyQuest is that it's an interactive indoor theme park.   Think like a Disney version of Chuck E. Cheese.  All right, now let's head on back to Disneyland to take a look at something that was only temporary...   



Toy Story Funhouse and Hamm's All Doll Revue - Disneyland



Now this originally debuted at El Capitan theater during the year of 1995. The same year, the first Toy Story came out.  In '96, it was brought over to Disneyland and placed next to Captain EO.    There was a giant  lite-brite wall, that you could play with.  A Green Army Men obstacle course. But one of the biggest things that made me raise my head was that there was a section called Woody's Roundup and this came out about 4  years before 2 and makes me wonder if Pixar had plans to include Roundup in the first film seeing as this was a promotional tool for the first film.    Now we are done with the parks, there is one last thing to touch upon as it's still a part of the Disney vacation experience.




Toy Story: The Musical - Disney Wonder (Disney Cruise Line)




Toy Story: The Musical is a musical adaption of the first Toy Story film and I watched it on YouTube. For the most part, it was okay and I'll give you the links to my reviews at the bottom  


Let's Watch Toy Story: The Musical 










All in all,  I have to say there is a lot of Toy Story at the parks.   Almost enough to make a Toy Story theme park. But nah.   Now there is so much that I'd like to see. Particularly, Toy Story Playland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment