Take A Look at Disney

4/15/14

Ranking The Dances of Dancing with The Stars' Disney Night











Hello  & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  Monday night,  Dancing with The Stars was all about Disney as the remaining celebs and their pros danced to classic Disney songs and alongside the characters on the ballroom floor.  As everyone from Lumiere to The Genie showed up and Tinker Bell was even there to open the event and knowing this, I was stoked. Now Dancing with  The Stars has had Disney numbers in the past but an entire night dedicated to the thing I love most. Sweet.   Now,  I am going to go through and rank each of the dances and give you the judge's score up top and a link to watch the dance and my personal opinion on them. With that out of the way, let's begin.




9.  Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (Jazz)  - Charlie White & Sharna Burges


Judge's Score: 37


Th is number is okay  but as you'll see if you watch all of the video,  Charlie White was given a 10 for this routine and I'm sorry but it didn't deserve a 10.  Especially after the crane drop.  I guess my biggest issue with this number is that it's fun but I don't know, this is a tough act to follow as Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke just pulled this off so well in the movie and trying to capture that while challenging,  I give them credit,   I was just left with "eh" feeling after this number was over.  It's not bad but it exists.   I mean,  don't misunderstand me, it was fun to watch but probably not one I'd return to again and again. Also,  I have to admit that it was pretty bad of me but the first thought that came to my mind was P.L. Travers would probably like this number because it didn't involve animation.


8.  Cruella De Ville  (Foxtrot)  - NeNe Leakes  & Tony   Dovolani 


Judges' Score:  36


I'll freely admit that I'm not the biggest fan of NeNe Leakes from what I've seen of her on her other shows such as the Real Housewives (I don't watch it, I just catch commericals watching Top Chef).  but here, she is a little more tolerable and her personality seem to fit the dance and the song as they both suited her very well and this was probably my favorite dance of hers all season as it just really felt like she was having fun and getting into the character of Cruella.   Although, I'm a little disappointed that this was the only villain song used, at least no one got stuck with the cliche Once Upon A Dream.   Ah well, back on topic,  I just really enjoyed this number from start to finish and it was a treat to watch.





 7.  Under The Sea  ( Samba)   -  Candace Cameron Bure and Mark Ballas


Judges' Score:  35


Let's see how could I not like this one?  One of my favorite Disney songs from one of the greatest Disney movies ever and D.J. Tanner is the one dancing.  Yeah, this one pretty much seems like a win in my book. Now, admittedly,  this  number in parts did feel a tad safe but it was still enjoyable and memorable and not over scored like # 9.




6.  Friend Like Me  (Quickstep) - Drew Carey and Cheryl Burke (and Genie) 

Judges' Score:  28


I'm  a big Drew Carey fan and I love Cheryl Burke and  while this number is good and it was a nice appetizer to open the show, the more I thought about it, the less impressed I was with Drew's movements in the number. Again, it's not bad and there is no way in a thousand years or Arabian nights that I could pull of what Drew is doing but like Candace's  Under The Sea samba,  it feels pedestrian.  I like it and it's fun but the dances that came afterwards were so much better. 




5.   I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)   (Samba)  -  Meryl Davis & Maksim  Chmerkovskiy (with King Louie and Baloo)

Judges' Score: 36


I'll preface this by saying that in every other season of DWTS, I've hated Makism Chmerkovskiy but  something about this season, probably his partner is making him seem more likable and more down to earth.  And it was nice to see him loosen up with a number like this. And I think that is the big reason, I like this number so much as it is showing a professional that I despised loosen up and not be such a jerk-wad to his partner and actually having fun.  Something I'd never thought I'd see with Maks as in all other seasons, I swear he wasn't enjoying himself but here with this number,  he just seemed to be having a grand ole time and I know I'm focusing more the pro then the star and well, Meryl is really good and does a nice job of bringing out a side of Maks, that I didn't think existed.  And honestly, this dance is the most fun, I've ever had watching Maks and any of his partners. 






 4.  Be Our Guest  (Quickstep)  - Danica McKellar &  Val Chmerkovskiy (with Lumiere)


Judges' Score: 39



Can I just say that the person voicing Lumiere here makes me yearn for the days of Jerry Orbach voicing him. That really has nothing to do with the dance but I kept thinking how much I wished they had used the original soundtrack version of this. Which is a little odd as they did that for some but not for others.  Anyways, this to me was a fun number that to me  is certainly the more fun of the two quicksteps from the Disney night.  I don't know, I just found the energy in this one to be so much fun and just a treat to watch from start to finish. 


3.  So This Is Love (Waltz)  -  Amy Purdy & Derek Hough



Judge's score :  37


Now first off,  I just have to give Paralympian,  Amy Purdy props for partaking in this show as you see she lost both her legs at the age of 19 due to  Neisseria meningitis, and had to have them replaced with prosthetic legs.  Now I've seen some people I shan't mention saying that Amy and Derek have been coasting by on her disability in this competition and I'm sorry but that's bull.  Amy may have tougher time in this competition then the other stars competing but she does put it all into it and this number shows that.    Now,  I do have one minor gripe,  Cinderella's dress was NOT pink.  Now I realize what I said about  Once Upon A Dream being a cliche dance choice and one could argue the same for So This Is Love but I'm sorry,  I really love this number and as my Top 6 Disney Dances article proved, that to me is one of the greatest Disney dances of all time and this take on it is simple, eloquent and beautiful.  It captures the grace and class of the moment of Cinderella and Prince Charming dancing at the ball together wonderfully and brings it to life in a gorgeous fashion and I'm sorry but I'm a sucker for this song. And the mice cheering was a nice touch.



2.   I Just Can't Wait To Be King  (Samba)  -  Cody Simpson  &   Witney Carson


Judges' Score:  34


I'll go ahead and say that I disagree with guest judge Donny Osmond saying that it didn't look like Cody was having any fun out there.  He brought a lot of great raw intensity and youthfulness to this number that I think only someone at his age could bring.  And the 17 year old pulled it off quite well.   Again, the energy in this number is what really sucked me in was just that.  The youthful energy found in this number was rather intense and it was a shame to see Cody get eliminated, this week as he was steadily improving as the show went on and this dance really showcased that.


1. Let It Go ( Contemporary) -   James  Maslow & Peta  Murgatroyd


Judges'  Score: 40


Yeah, there is nothing I can say about this dance.  This number speaks for itself.  There is a reason, this one got 10s all across the board.  Just go watch it, this is what dance should be.   This was just beautiful.  The movements were so fluid and gorgeous. It was like   poetry in motion.   I never thought Let It Go would lend itself into creating something like this.  Man, oh man I just loved every moment of this number.  This was just breathtaking.  As soon as this number ended, I knew that this was the best dance of the night.  This dance was just that good.



There you have it,  my ranking of the dances from Dancing with The Stars' Disney Night.  I really enjoyed this and hope that they do this again in future seasons with maybe stuff from Newsies or Tangled or even Hunchback.  But this was a lot of fun to watch and every dance was a treat to see.    Peace. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment