Take A Look at Disney

8/10/14

What Happened In 1991








Hello  & welcome  back to A Look at Disney and it's once again time to open the vault of the past as we take a look at what happened in 1991. As a reminder,  this will cover film,  TV, and Theme Parks.   With that out of the way, let's begin. 


Film


Theatrical  Releases


White  Fang















On  January  18th,  White  Fang  is released.  I'll admit I know very little about this film.  I think my family owns a copy of it but I'm not sure but that poster does intrigue me into giving this film a look.



Shipwrecked














On March  1st,  Shipwrecked was released.  Now,  I have to be straight up and honest and say I had never even heard of this movie before looking up this year on the Disney Wiki.   Apparently,  it took it's inspiration from  Robinson Crusoe.  Hmm,  might  be  worth  a watch.



Wild  Hearts  Can't  Be Broken 















On May 24th,  Wild  Hearts  Can't   Be Broken   was released  and it appears  to be a biopic about  a young  lady  named  Sonora Webster Carver,  who was an orphan during the  the Depression that rode horses.  I'm  probably simplifying the story but I'm going by  the  Disney Wiki.


The Rocketeer


  











On  June  21st,  The Rocketeer was released.  Oh, now this is a movie I know and love.   This is probably my favorite superhero  movie.  This  movie is just so much fun. Everything about this movie works from the setting to the characters, especially Cliff.    This  movie does not deserve to be as underrated as it is.  Thankfully,  however in recent years, it has getting some love as references to it pop up at Disney parks and just this year Hallmark released a Rocketeer Christmas ornament and you can bet that I bought one.















And  a few  years  back,  Disney  was talking about remaking this film.  I'm  of two minds on that front. I love this movie so much that I'd be very critical of a remake but at the same time, a remake  could bring the original film more exposure and I'm all for that as this is a film that deserves to be loved by today's generation. Also, can I say that I just love this poster.





















Beauty  and The Beast













On November 22nd,   Beauty and  The Beast was released and what hasn't been said about this film. It's a tale as old as time and it was the second movie in the Renaissance era to help reestablish Disney as the powerhouse of animation that they are.  And it did that because of  the great story, the beautiful animation and the wonderful songs from Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.    Also,   it's  important  to note that during the production of this film, Howard Ashman revealed that he was HIV positive and  got  very sick while working on this film and Aladdin and  this movie  is dedicated to his memory.    However, four days before he passed away,  Howard Ashman got to see a finished copy of the film in his hospital bedroom.    If  you want more on this,  check out Waking Sleeping Beauty. 



Re-Release


One Hundred and One   Dalmatians





















On  July  12th,  One  Hundred and One  Dalmatians  was re released in theaters  and  this was it's last re release.   Man,  that would've been cool to see this  on the big  screen.  Then  again, I feel that way about most Disney movies.


Home  Releases


DuckTales The Movie: The Treasure of The Lost Lamp













On  March  15th,  DuckTales The Movie: The Treasure of The Lost Lamp was released on VHS.    Man, I have not watched this movie in a long time.   



The  Jungle Book





















On  May 3rd,  The Jungle Book was released on VHS.  This is a good movie and I don't understand why Disney is remaking it and seriously, Bill Murray as Baloo.   That  just seems like a miscast in my opinion but  I'll give it a chance. But...



On  June 2nd,   Peter and The Wolf,  The Prince and The Pauper, and  Willie Operatic Whale were released on VHS.  These are all great shorts  and   I think  I know what the next  Classic Shorts Showcase is going to be.


On June 12th,  White Fang was released on VHS.


On  July 12th,  Bedknobs and Broomsticks,  Mary Poppins, Pete's Dragon, Dumbo, and Robin Hood, and Alice In Wonderland were released on VHS.



















On  July 17th,  Shipwrecked was released on VHS.


September 11th had a lot of re releases,  here ya go.









20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Candleshoe, The Love Bug, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, Freaky Friday, Kidnapped, In Search of the Castaways, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, Pollyanna, The Three Lives of Thomasina, and The Parent Trap.



Yeah, all of these films were released on VHS on that day.



On  September 20th, The Rescuers Down Under was released on VHS.


















 On  November 1st,  Fantastia  was released on VHS

























TV


Adventures  In Wonderland premiered on Disney Channel, this year.  Oddly,  an exact date was not given. 














And  I loved this show as a kid.  Was it corny?  Yes.  Was it cheesy?  Absolutely.  Was it weird that  Alice was a preteen girl in the '90s.  Not really.   Looking back, this show is rather corny but I like it for what it was.  I mean, where else are you going to see Gilbert Gottfried play a bully that picked on The March Hare and it also features  Willie Nelson in the same episode.  Yes,  that's right, Willie Nelson and Gilbert Gottfried in the same episode of this show.   This show was so silly but I loved it.  Easily, the best part was the theme song and  the intro.   That just oozes  '90s.  Oh,  and I just re read  my review of  the episode that Willie Nelson and Gilbert Gottfried were in,  apparently, O.J. Simpson also guest starred on this show.  Okay, I gotta find that episode.  I did some  digging and apparently,  that episode  is titled.  "White Rabbits Can't Jump".   I couldn't make this up, if I tried and I wouldn't want to.  Oh, and you guys  just need to see what Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum look like in this show.















I think, we better move on before I die of laughter. 




The Adventures  of  the Gummi Bears aired it's  final  episode  on  February 22nd.   Okay, confession time.   I found this show a bit boring as a kid.   I  mean I like the theme song but I could just never get into this show as a kid.  


Darkwing  Duck















On   March  31st ,  Darkwing  debuted on Disney Channel with Darkly Dawns The Duck and Darkwing would go on to become one of the greatest Disney cartoons of the '90s and in my opinion, Jim Cummings' finest role was as DW. 



On  April  26th,   a staple of '90s sticoms  debuted and one of the first  of many co-productions  from Disney and Jim Henson was released and that was Dinosaurs.
















I remember as a little  kid,  I loved this show and I had a shirt with Baby Sinclair on this show.   Man, he was the breakout character of this show wasn't he?  And to think, he was played by  Kevin Clash aka  Elmo.














I mean,  this character had his own music video  based on his famous catchphrase.



I'm the baby,  gotta love me





On August 8th,   TaleSpin  aired it's final episode.    I may have to track this down because I liked this show.



Winnie The Pooh and Christmas Too














On  December 14th,  Winnie The Pooh and Christmas Too aired for the first time on ABC.  And this is easily the best of the Pooh Bear  Holiday specials.   It  has the right amount of heart and holiday spirit.   It's  the cutest and sweetest and captures the Pooh  Bear and holiday spirit, the best.




Theme Parks


Disney Afternoon Avenue

















On March  15th,  Disney Afternoon Avenue  opened at Disneyland.  And here you could meet characters from  the Disney Afternoon such as  Scrooge,  Baloo,  Beagle Boys.  And  apparently,  it only lasted a year.   You could even get  Gummi Berry Juice.   Okay, that's awesome.



Muppet*Vision 3D
















The   last thing to bring up  is Muppet*Vision  3D  opened  at MGM Studios.   Man,  I love this show. It captures  the zany spirit  of the Muppets  perfectly.   It's  just silly, and fun.    This was my  first Disney World attraction  and  I'll be forever grateful  for   seeing this.




There,  you have it.  My look at What Happened in 1991.  I hope that you've enjoyed  this look at  what happened at Disney  in this year.

1 comment:

  1. Strange, the DisneyWiki had it listed as starting in 1991.

    ReplyDelete