Take A Look at Disney

3/6/11

Can We Talk about Mickey Mouse Clubhouse




This is  a show that I have mixed feelings towards ever since I learned of its conception. On the one hand, I'm happy to see Mickey back on TV but on the other hand, I hate the fact that they dumbed down the characters and messed with  The Mickey Mouse March.  Do not get me wrong, I understand this show is intended for younger children but I still feel that the older Mickey shorts are better. Perhaps by watching this show, I will have an interest in seeing other Mickey shows or cartoons later down the road.  Let's go ahead and start with the theme song and the closing song.



While the theme is not bad and it does it's job to introduce the characters, I still can't get grated by the sound of the song. It just does not feel like the Mickey Mouse March. Yes, I understand the theme is trying to be different but sorry, I think the original is better.



Now,  the other song in this show that is on every episode is called Hot Dog. I'm not even kidding!  This song takes it title from Mickey's not well known catchphrase "Hot Dog". This became his catchphrase because these were the first words Mickey ever said onscreen.




While the dancing is cute and it will get little kids moving, I just feel that this song serves no purpose other than to close out the show and the only words said are  Hot Dog.  While a lot of children's shows have closing at least they don't repeat the same two words over and over.


While I have a gripe with the music that is not my biggest problem with the show. Oh no that would be two of the characters.  First, I would like to talk about a new character that was created for the show.   This character is named Toodles




Toodles is esstinally a Mickey Mouse shaped toolbox that comes whenever he is called. Now I don't have a problem with his shape because this is a Mickey Mouse show but I just do not understand the need and for the most part he was okay until he started talking.  Now Toodles is not the worst thing about this show. No that would have to be what they did to Pete.




Pete was Mickey's greatest villain but he was stripped as his villainy and just became another character. This show made Pete so bland. This is the one thing that truly frustrates me about the show because he was Mickey's greatest foe but he and Mickey are pals. It shouldn't be this way.  I just hope the next time we see Pete on a TV show that he is EVIL!!!


In the end is this a bad show? While it is a good introduction for young children to Mickey. There are many other things, parents or in my an uncle could use to introduce Mickey to them such as the video, The Spirit of Mickey.  This is a collection of Mickey shorts from his heyday.






However if you wish to introduce a youngling to Mickey with a children's show. I suggest this gem from Disney Channel's heyday. Which I will be covering tomorrow Mousercise or I would also suggest House of Mouse
  





Your Top 6 and Music Fridays Update

I will put up an updated list of the songs that you can vote for on Wednesday.  I have changed the amount of votes needed per song to three. After Today Live has been locked in.  Also do not forget that this Friday, I'm starting Music Fridays and our first Music Friday is going to be Disney Afternoon Era Theme Songs. You can request a song and the first five songs requested will be featured.

No comments:

Post a Comment