Take A Look at Disney

11/15/11

Top 6 Sheriff Woody Moments (BigBlackHatMan's Anniversary Special Pt. 2)

Happy Anniversary, BigBlackHatMan.  I have immensely enjoyed your blogs and today a few of us here in the blogging community have decided to gather up and wring together some Western themed blogs to celebrate your anniversary And for Pt. 2 as my 2 Special I decided to turn to a classic cowboy so "Reach for the sky" as I countdown the Top 6 Sheriff Woody Moments.   Quick note before I begin,  this list contains a lot of Toy Story 2 moments but this is not without reason as Woody is not only featured heavily in that film but also because that film more than the other two help to define him as a character.






6.   Woody's Finest Hour  - Toy Story 2




Ah, this is just a great moment and there couldn't be a better way to close out Toy Story 2. Woody finally gets the ending to Woody's Roundup that he had wanted. He wanted to know how the show ended but it gotten canned so instead after saving Jesse and Bullseye from Stinky Pete, he gets to create the final moment and it is  a classic.  Wonderful moment for a wonderful film.  


5.  You Are a Toy - Toy Story/Toy Story 2








I knew I had to include this classic line on here somehow because it is perhaps one of my favorite moments from Toy Story and when they included it Toy Story 2, I was thrilled. Though let's take a look at how the line is used in each film. In Toy Story, it comes from Woody being aggravated by Buzz thinking that he is really a space ranger and Woody has had enough of it and just blows his lid and just blurts out the now famous line. Whereas in Toy Story 2,  the tables are turned and here Buzz is using it against Woody to remind him of how important Andy is and how much Andy loves him.  Which in this context adds a lot of depth to that line.  


4.  Play Nice  - Toy Story





Another classic scene.  Admittedly, this scene to some young children can come off as scary but now I just find it funny.  I love how Woody scared Sid by coming to life and having the other toys start attacking him which felt very much like they were zombies.  And then the head spin, oh my was that awesome or what?  The best part though is the buildup to Woody's line. Just the way that Woody keeps taunting Sid until he finally comes to life. That is great.  


3.  Learning of Woody's Roundup - Toy Story 2


Let me  just state that Toy Story 2 is my favorite film  in the entire trilogy.  Toy Story 2 helped me in liking Woody so much more and getting the back story of his character was great and meeting the other cowfolk and learning that Woody was based off of an old TV show just made everything about him so much more intriguing and I actually think having Woody be introduced to Jesse, Bullseye and Stinky Pete actually caused a better conflict.  Does Woody stay with his new friends and help them or does he return home with Buzz and the guys to Andy who he has always cared for?  Well, we know the decision that he makes but having Woody learn of this and giving him time to think over his decision makes the struggle feel more realistic.  Plus it doesn't hurt that Woody's Roundup is just a great song.






Ah, memories. I used to own that CD.  Moving on, I just think that this is a great example of being loaded with so much information to cause one to have a moral dilemma.  Honestly, I'm just surprised Woody didn't a nervous breakdown after going through all of this.  


2.   One Last Playtime - Toy Story 3




What can I say about Toy Story 3?  I want to say this film is overrated but all of it's love is deserved and while not my favorite Toy Story, it will hold a special place in my heart.  I assure you  when I saw this in theaters, every single 20 year old felt like the little kid they were when the first Toy Story came out.  So out of everything in Toy Story 3, why this?   It's simple, Woody realizes that it is time to let Andy grow up and it hurts him to come to that realization but he knows that Andy no longer needs him. He remembers the time he spent with Bonnie and her toys and how the memories of when Andy was a little kid came back as he hadn't been played with in years and to be played with made him happy.  He wrote that note hoping Andy would realize the right thing to do and he got  what he and the toys had wanted so badly, one last playtime with Andy before he goes off to college. That is all he wanted and he finally got that.  Just the smile alone on Woody's face when he gets what he had wanted  makes this movie worth watching. I'll just skip over the Sunnyside parts for the scenes like this. Which there should have been more of. Plus I just love how they showed the hesitation in Andy when Bonnie sees Woody and doesn't want to give Woody to her but he finally comes around.   This scene just shows how Woody and Andy as hard as it may be for the both of them realize  that it is time to move on. It doesn't mean that Woody will never think of Andy again, just that he needs to let Andy grow up and Andy needs to let go so that Woody can now make Bonnie happy.  This is perhaps one of the most beautiful moments from any Pixar  film  and that is because of the simplicity in the scene.  Pixar knows that you don't need to go over the top to have a scene resonate with the audience and that is best shown here.


1.  You've Got a Friend In Me (Woody's Version) - Toy Story 2

  

I know there are a lot of Toy Story 2 moments on this list but that was already explained and also this moment just felt right to take the # 1 spot.  Now this may be the shortest rendition of the song but it's my favorite and the impact that it has Woody is rather deep.  The way the song way used in this scene is great as it reminds Woody how important Andy is to him.  Also I like the touch of having Woody watch this as a clip from Woody's Roundup because not only does it tie into Woody's story arc quite well it also to me gives the song deeper meaning.  You may be asking why I chose this as my number one. Well, if you have noticed each moment on my list for the most part has either been a moment that helped Woody to grow or better define his character and they show him at a unique point in his life. Right here with this song, Woody is at the final crossroad of making his decision and this song helps him in making that choice. He realizes that he wants to spend time with Andy while he stills there.  To me out of all the Toy Story moments, this one is the deepest and has the most impact. Yes, even more than any moment in Toy Story 3.  There is just something about this scene and how it works it's magic.  Again, it goes back to the word simplicity.  Because while the scene is simple, the emotion that it delivers is large.


I hope that you have enjoyed this special Top 6 and once again, BigBlackHatMan  I wish you a Happy Anniversary. 



Now I wanted to end this with a Western theme and well this is the only one that I could think of...





BBHM, just keep them blogs on a rollin'


No comments:

Post a Comment