Take A Look at Disney

5/9/13

Top 6 Mother Gothel Moments




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  Tangled, one of my favorite movies.  Mother Gothel, a villain that has grown on me over time. Today, I am counting what I consider to be her Top 6 Moments.   With that out of the way, let's begin.



6.  The Mirror Scene



“Look in that mirror. I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady.    Oh look, you're here too”



This moment pretty much lets the audience know, what kind of villain, we are dealing with. Someone who is shallow and vapid and truly only cares for herself.   But for me,  the big thing that makes it work is how it starts off as though  Rapunzel is being led to believe that her mother is building up Rapunzel's confidence, when that isn't the case at all.



5. You want me to be the bad guy? Fine.

[Advances toward Rapunzel threateningly]

 Now I'm the bad guy...



Now I mentioned this in my review of the film.  And why I like it is because of how  they took what was a throwaway line from earlier in the film and brought it back and actually made it a legit threat.   The way, Donna Murphy delivers line, you know that she means business and that  is she is going to hurt Flynn and Rapunzel.


4.  She Starts To Believe Her Lie


Okay, so this one isn't so much a moment but still important nonetheless.   Part of me felt that  Gothel   even though, she was using Rapunzel started to believe her lie that she was telling Rapunzel after living with her for eighteen years. And that even though, it was small,  she did have a small amount of feelings for Rapunzel.   Now they weren't completely true but I do think that there was something there.


3.  Stealing The Flower





The thing that sets the events of the film in motion.  Stealing the flower is important because it is what Gothel needed to stay young.  And she for a long time was using for her advantage.   It showed what great lengths, she would go through to keep her outer beauty.  This is great and shows dastardly she is, well except for....


2. Kidnapping Rapunzel As A Baby





Taking the flower is one thing but the fact that she was willing to take Rapunzel as a baby because of her magic hair, shows how underhanded is.  She was willing to  take a child and keep it separate from her true parents.    That is just  evil and really shows that Gothel would stop at nothing to get what she wanted.








I knew this had to be my # 1 as it just shows how condescending and mean, she can be to Rapunzel.  This moment is very much like the mirror scene but it works better because she is getting right in Rapunzel's face about it.     This moment right here just shows how much she doesn't care about Rapunzel and will talk down to her daughter at any chance, she gets.  It is indeed intense and works masterfully.   She just talks down to Rapunzel and you can see how this is getting to Rapunzel and making question what she has been doing all throughout the film up to this point.



There you have it, my Top 6 Mother Gothel Moments.  I hope you enjoyed this one. Peace! 







No comments:

Post a Comment