Take A Look at Disney

8/14/13

Classic Pixar Shorts Showcase: Tin Toy




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney. And welcome back to Classic Pixar Shorts Showcase.  I have to say that I really liked this short as it was very cute.   Join me as I take a look at Tin Toy.



The Plot


Tin Toy follows  a toy named Tinny as he is trying to escape from a baby named Billy, who he fears will drool all over him.  He runs off and tries to hide under a couch where he meets all the other toys that are also hiding from Billy. At one point, Billy falls  and starts to cry. Even knowing his fate, Tinny goes out there to try and cheer him up.  But Billy actually starts playing with the box that Tinny came in and was happy again.  Also, I have to admit that the animation was 50/50 in this short. Tinny looked great as did the other toys but Billy was just ugly and the backgrounds were non-existent.  Having said that however,  I found the story to be good enough to overlook that.   It is also interesting to note that this short almost received a Christmas special sequel, A Tin Toy Christmas.  Many elements of that special were later used in the Toy Story trilogy.



Characters


Now, there are really only two characters to talk about. With that out of the way, let's begin.


Tinny















The animation on Tinny is just gorgeous.  I actually bought him as a toy and the expressiveness with the characters in each short is improving.   Red was good but Tinny was even better in my opinion was bringing out the expressions.



Billy






















Okay, with the way, Billy was animated, it almost feels as though that he came from another piece of animation. Mind you, he wasn't a bad character as he was adorable and he actually felt like a child.  I truly liked that.



My Final Thoughts


All in all, I loved this short.  I think this may be my favorite of the Pixar shorts that I have watched for this retrospective thus far.  This one is I highly suggest.  You will not regret it. Join me next time as I look at...

Knick Knack


2 comments:

  1. You know that one of the most ground-breaking pieces of animation in this short is the reflection of the four window panes off Tin Toy's head.

    I mean you barely even register it but the fact that they managed to make a lightening techinique that sophisicated at the time is what helped them earn the Oscar.

    It's such a small but brilliant thing that it always impresses me.

    ReplyDelete