Take A Look at Disney

8/15/13

Music Fridays # 102: Sofia The First



Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and welcome back to Music Fridays.  Today, we are delving once more into Sofia The First as I showcase some of the songs from this Disney Junior show.  So, please join me.



I'm Not Ready To Be A Princess






Yeah, I know I've featured this song a lot before but it really stuck out to me.  It's the best song to come from Sofia in my opinion because it feels real and doesn't go with  "OH MY GOSH!  THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVAH!"  approach that a lot  of thees would go for. No, rather, we hear Sofia singing about her fears and anxieties and how she doesn't think she can measure up to the title of princess.   I honestly like that because giving an 8 year old girl, who just a commoner with her mother who worked as the local shoemaker, the title of princess is a lot of pressure.




Rise and Shine







This should've been the show's theme song as it perfectly captures the essence of what this show is.  Instead of the generic plain sounding theme that they have.    Now I'll admit while I like this song just fine and it has a good message,  I wish they hadn't mess with Ariel Winter's voice.  I get that they were trying to make her sound like Sofia but she's not playing Sofia here. So, there's no need for that.



Cedric The Great







Jess Harnell, thank you for bringing to life, this hilarious character.   And this song is really good for a villain's song.   Some background Cedric as stated is the main villain, he's a bit of a bumbler.  Think Doof from Phineas and Ferb and his goal is to get The Amulet of Avalor that is worn by Sofia because with it, he thinks that he'll be able to take over the kingdom.  Man, I love this guy.




The Ride of Your Lives







And we close out with song featuring Jasmine from Aladdin as she teaches Sofia and more apparently her sister, Amber how to tame a wild carpet and how not to be afraid.  It's cute but  I do have one minor nitpick. Why wasn't Carpet in this episode?   Seriously,  and for those wondering, Jasmine's singing voice is provided by her original singing voice actress, Lea Salonga.    You gotta admit, that's pretty cool.     I mean Aladdin came out in '92 and here we are in 2013 and she came back to give us Jasmine's singing voice.   I really like that but then again,  that doesn't surprise me too much.





I hope that you all have enjoyed this Music Fridays.  Join me next week as I pick up where I left off with the score for Oz: The Great & Powerful.










No comments:

Post a Comment