Take A Look at Disney

8/9/13

D23 Expo Coverage

Hello & welcome to a special D23 edition of A Look at Disney.  This blog will be updated as I gather information on what is being revealed at D23.  For those of you that may not know, D23 is the gathering of Disney fans for the biggest Disney convention in Anaheim.   Now, this'll be broken down into Films. Theme Parks,  and TV.  Let's start.



Theme Parks


Star Wars: Orange Harvest  - Here's My Resource

















This one was the first big announcement,  I saw from D23.   It's Star Wars related, of course!  Look,  I'm reporting on this stuff to give you guys, full coverage but  I really don't care about the Star Wars or Marvel stuff.  It's not that I'm not interested but I kinda worn out by Star wars and Marvel hogging the attention. I mean,  for any Lucas property, I'd rather see something Idny related.   I'm really only interested in the animation, Once Upon A Time news and anything regarding Saving Mr. Banks.  But back to this,  this appears to be related to the theme parks as various nerd sites, including Topless Robot reported on this along with Inside The Magic.  If I had to speculate,  I think this is the first step towards Disney revealing the Star Wars themed land that is coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios that was announced a while back.  I could be wrong on this but I highly doubt that. This land has been going through the Disney Parks fan grapevine since before Disney owned the rights.  Another reason,  I think this is the Star Wars Land coming to Florida, look at project name.  Orange Harvest.  At first, you might be led to believe that this is just a reference to Blue Harvest, which it is but I ask you, what is Florida's state fruit?  The orange!  Coincidence, I think not.



Avatar Land  Here's My Resource
















This year's D23 also gave us the first look at Avatar Land.   Okay,  I care even less about Avatar Land then I do Star Wars or Marvel.  And I'm sorry but this land does NOT belong in Animal Kingdom.  It to me just doesn't mesh. Having said that however,  I have to give the exhibit and the Imagineer credit as he stayed in character as though, he came back from Pandora and for someone that only seen about 20 minutes of this Smurf film, the exhibit is very detailed and I do feel that it captured the feel of James Cameron's film.  Which at this point will most likely open before the sequels arrive to theaters.  Just because I don't like  this film,  doesn't mean I can't appreciate the details.





Avengers Academy   Here's My Resource

















Okay, so this one is technically a Disney Cruise line thing.  I really can't make out what it's supposed to be.  But I'm guessing and I could be wrong, this may be an Avengers version of the the Jedi Training Academy found at the Disney Parks.   That kinda does look like the Helicarrier from the film but if it is, what I think it is, I have no idea on how that is going to work because,  Jedi is easy to do,   its' uniformed and only one thing but the Avengers would trickier to pull off because while they are a team, they are composed of people with different powers.   I feel sorry for the kid that has to train with The Hulk.   Now there is some other big news regarding this, there to promote this was Captain America.















That's admittedly pretty cool.



Now thanks to WDW News Today, we can get to the good stuff, the Disney stuff.  First up, concept art of built and unbuilt attractions such as Western River Expedition.


















This is pretty cool to see there.


The Hatbox Ghost
















Ah, one of the most iconic lost characters from The Haunted Mansion.  He wasn't part of the ride very long because there were a lot of issues with him.  There has been a rumor going around that if the del Toro film is successful, he'll be added back to the ride as he is supposedly, the main character in that film. That is if the film, ever gets made. Which at this point is looking to be like a pipe dream. It's never going to happen.  Though I'd like to think his presence at the Expo means that they may consider putting him back in the Mansion anyways.



Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart Ride













Apparently, they had test footage of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Cart roller coaster coming to New Fanstayland.  This is something I'm pretty excited about.  It's a roller coaster based the mining sequence from Snow White and your vehicles will look like carts from the film and they figured out a mechanism to make them teeter while on the ride. That's pretty sweet.















Films


Big Hero 6  - Here's my resource


















Okay, yeah.  I know next to nothing about Big Hero 6.  All  I can tell you is that this going to be the first animated Marvel film from Disney. Make of that, what you will?



And From Big Hero 6's Facebook page,  a new piece of art that debuted at the Expo.
















Again,  not too much I can say on this.   Though it looks to be mixing western and eastern cultures.  Interesting!







Check back later for more updates.



And we are  back with some Pixar news.   Here is my resource.  This is all from the Pixar Panel.


Andrew Stanton's Finding Dory will have three additional new characters added.  With Diane Keaton and Eugene Levy playing her parents.  Y'know, I can buy that.  From D23's site,  apparently Finding Dory is going to be about Dory reuniting with her family and learning what the true meaning of family is all along.  Sounds like a lesser version of The Tigger Movie.


There will be  a Monsters University short where Mike & Sully reunite with Oozmas  shown in front of The Good Dinosaur.


Speaking of which, The Good Dinosaur,  will features the voices of John Lithgow, Neil Patrick Harris  (Sweet!),  Bill Hader,  Lucas Neff, Frances McDonald,  and Judy Greer.   Okay,  how you had to tell me was that Neil Patrick Harris is going to be in this and my ticket is bought.  Dr. Horrible in a Pixar film. YEAH, that is awesome.  And Lithgow,  that now makes two upcoming projects, he is lending his voice to as he will also be voicing The White Rabbit in Once Upon A Time In Wonderland


Inside Out, a film about a young girl who has to move to San Francisco and  takes place inside her brain will feature the voice talent of Lewis Black as Anger  (that seems like obvious casting),  Mindy Kaling  will be playing Disgust,  Amy Poehler will be playing Joy,  Bill Hader will be voicing Fear,  & Phyllis Smith as Sadness. I'll admit that I'm overly familiar with most of these actors' bodies of work but the film sounds interesting and it reminds me of the old Disney, Reason and Emotion.  This if done right,  could be the most unique Pixar film. I'm kinda hoping that these films pick Pixar up out of their sequel slump.  Okay,  I do have to say something right here. Even though, I think these people will be fine,  why can't we someone like Tara Strong or Jim Cummings in these roles? This is what they trained to do?



And we are back.  From Frozen's Facebook Page,  a new image from the film that debuted at the Expo.













Not to much to say on this but the animation is reminding me of Tangled and that's okay as I LOVE Tangled.  This is a pretty cute image.



We have two more of those Tinkerbell films coming out.  And one of them  is called The Pirate Fairy and the only big news is that Tom Hiddleston (Loki) will be providing his voice to this direct-to-video feature.  Along with Christina Hendricks.  Never seen any of the Tink films because it's not that they look bad but they just feel unnecessary.  Apparently, the other Tink film is titled, Legend of The NeverBeast.

From the D23 Site,  itself.  More animated film news.  Let's start with the patheic.   Planes: Fire & Rescue was confirmed.  Great! A sequel to a film, no one asked for.


Also, a new film called Zootopia was announced and I want to quote D23 on this one.

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ director Byron Howard (Tangled) and writer Jared Bush shared plans for the upcoming comedy adventure Zootopia (working title). In the animal city of Zootopia, a fast-talking fox who’s trying to make it big goes on the run when he’s framed for a crime he didn’t commit. Zootopia’s top cop, a self-righteous rabbit, is hot on his tail, but when both become targets of a conspiracy, they’re forced to team up and discover even natural enemies can become best friends. In theaters in 2016.



This film sounds kinda interesting and I don't think we've had a film like this from Disney in a while.



And now for what  I consider one of the biggest announcements.


Get A Horse

















Get A Horse! made its U.S. premiere at the D23 Expo. Featuring Walt Disney himself as the voice of Mickey Mouse, this black-and-white, hand-drawn theatrical short follows Mickey, his favorite gal pal Minnie Mouse and their friends Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow as they delight in a musical haywagon ride—until Peg-Leg Pete shows up and tries to run them off the road. This groundbreaking short from Walt Disney Animation Studios is directed by Lauren MacMullan (TV’s The Simpsons) and produced by Dorothy McKim (Prep & Landing trilogy, Meet the Robinsons), Get A Horse! opens in front of Frozen on November 27, 2013.




Okay,  so I think this is a new Mickey short animated in the style of the classics but here's what confuses me, they say Walt is voicing Mickey.  And that's not all, I've checked the voice cast for this on multiple sites and Billy Bletcher is listed as voicing Pete.  I at first thought, this was a lost Mickey short but everywhere, I've read indicates that this is a newly animated short.  I'm  just going "Huh?"  I mean don't get me wrong, I love Walt as Mickey and Billy Bletcher as Pete does not get enough credit. Even though, he is the one that originated the role.  So, it could be neat to hear their voices again but at the same time, I'm wondering why they didn't go with Brett Iwan and Jim Cummings, if this is indeed a new Mickey short.  Please do not take this as a slam towards Walt or Bletcher.  I'm just perplexed by this decision.  They might have made this decision to keep the short feeling more authentic.  Still, a bit weird.


There is now concept art for Finding Dory, Inside Out,  & Zootopia.  Which I may have forgotten to mention but the latter is being done in house.

Finding Dory











Inside Out
















Zootopia












I have to say that the concept art for Zootopia intrigues me the most.  This looks like it could be a really cool film.  Also, I am so slow I can't believe it took me this long to realize the title is a play on utopia.





And we are back with more film news as Disney showcased, it's live action slate and there is quite a bit to talk about, here on Day 2.  Now I won't be covering Disneynature's Bears.  I'll be starting with the films, that we know the least about.  Once Again, here is my Resource.


Tomorrowland









The D23 audience was treated to a glimpse into the mysteries surrounding Disney’s Tomorrowland as Sean Bailey and filmmakers Brad Bird (director, co-writer, producer) and Damon Lindelof (co-writer, producer) talked about the inspiration of the secrets of the black box, which was featured in a short behind-the-scenes piece screened for the audience about the visionary Walt Disney. Although the audience was buzzing with questions, Bailey remained coy, but then announced a special, surprise Tomorrowland exhibit opening in the afternoon on the D23 floor that would reveal the contents of the box and more. Starring George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Britt Robertson, Raffey Cassidy and Thomas Robinson, the action-packed adventure hits theaters December 12, 2014.





Okay,  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about this film.  Simply because,  nothing has to seemed to be revealed to the public that was not at D23.  And also because, it's a theme park film and the track record for theme park films, yeah.  Not exactly the greatest.  I mean, it's one thing to adapt a ride into a film but an entire land.  That's a mighty feat to pull off and I don't think it will turn out successfully.  I honestly think Disney has another John Carter on their hands with this film.   It's too ambitious.  Now, you might be thinking that ambition is a good thing but I just feel that Disney should give up on theme park films.   Pirates was fine, the first one at least but all the other theme park films have been either terrible or okay.



Disney's Cinderella
















Sean Bailey thrilled the D23 audience with an exclusive, very early, sneak peek at the vision of Disney’s Cinderella, courtesy of director Sir Kenneth Branagh. Though many of the elements are still in development and pre-production, like Cinderella’s gown, the audience enjoyed getting a taste of what they could expect when Disney’s live-action version of the classic fairy tale opens in theaters on March 13, 2015.
Although Disney’s magical and amazing Cinderella promises to be faithful to the original fairy tale, the filmmakers will elevate the story, the characters and the visuals to take audiences on a sweeping dramatic journey never seen before



I'll admit that I'm kinda excited about this one.  I mean sure,  Disney has the classic Cinderella but why not let someone else take another stab at it.  Of course,  I like fairy tales and fantasy.  So, this could be really good and if nothing else,  the film will look gorgeous with Kenneth Branagh directing.  If he can bring Asgard to life,  he is more then capable of handling Cinderella.  While I wouldn't mind some nods to the classic,  I hope that this film is different enough and good enough to stand the test of time on it's own.



Disney's Into The Woods




















Disney’s Into the Woods celebrated its first public introduction as Sean Bailey shared some details with the audience about the highly anticipated musical. Rob Marshall, the talented filmmaker behind the Academy Award®-winning musical Chicago and Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is set to helm Into the Woods, which stars Academy Award®-winning actress Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine and Emily Blunt. Marc Platt, who produced the multiple Tony Award®-winning musical Wicked on Broadway, will produce “Into the Woods,” along with producers Marshall, John DeLuca and Callum McDougall.
Into the Woods, based on the Tony®-winning original musical by James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim, surrounds a baker and his wife’s quest to break a witch’s curse in order to start a family. Along the way, they encounter several well-known fairy tale characters and together they learn what happens after “happily ever after.”
The film is slated for a December 2014 holiday release.


Ooh,  a musical. I'm there.  Johnny Depp is in this.  Eh,  okay.  I'll take it.  Again, this is something that could be really good.  I'm familiar with the story as my high school did a production of this my Sophomore year and I liked it then but this could be even better.   So yeah, this is something that I'm kinda looking forward to.


Disney Maleficent










Academy Award®-winning actress Angelina Jolie joined Sean Bailey on stage after the audience had an exclusive first look at Disney’s Maleficent. Starring as the title character in the highly anticipated live action film, Jolie chatted with Bailey about the film before exiting to wild applause.
Maleficent is the untold story of Disney’s most iconic villain from the 1959 classic Sleeping Beauty. A beautiful, pure-hearted young woman, Maleficent has an idyllic life growing up in a peaceable forest kingdom, until one day when an invading army threatens the harmony of the land. Maleficent rises to be the land’s fiercest protector, but she ultimately suffers a ruthless betrayal—an act that begins to turn her pure heart to stone. Bent on revenge, Maleficent faces an epic battle with the invading king’s successor and, as a result, places a curse upon his newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Maleficent realizes that Aurora holds the key to peace in the kingdom—and perhaps to Maleficent’s true happiness as well.
The film also stars Sharlto Copley, Elle Fanning, Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Miranda Richardson, Juno Temple and Lesley Manville and is produced by Joe Roth and directed by Robert Stromberg. Linda Woolverton, the screenwriter of Alice in Wonderland, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast, wrote the screenplay. “Maleficent” opens in theaters on July 2, 2014.



And here's another film, I could care less about.   I don't like Angelia Jolie.  I don't like Maleficent,  I take a little bit of offense to this description calling her the most iconic Disney villain.  What did she do to deserve that honor?  She is an overrated hag that does nothing but turn into a dragon. Ooh, scary! Please!  She's pathetic.  Iconic,  my rear.  More like overrated.   Sleeping Beauty is the weakest of the Walt era animated films.  And to top it off, this is Wicked. It's not exactly Wicked but this story seems to be hitting so many of the same beats as Wicked, that it's a little annoying.   Just once, can we get a villain film that focuses on them, that doesn't feel the need to paint them as misunderstood or betrayed.  I can't explain why it worked with Wicked but it just did and there is no chance of it working here.   And again, what did she do to deserve to be called Disney's most iconic villain?  There are better and more deserving villain then this hack that deserve that title.  She sure as heck, does not!   Heck, to keep with fairy tales and upcoming films,  Lady Tremaine is a better villain then her.  Yeah, I won't be seeing this.



Saving Mr. Banks






















Sean Bailey set up the story and talented cast of Disney’s Saving Mr. Banks, the extraordinary, untold backstory of how Disney’s classic Mary Poppins made it to the screen, and reminded everyone that Mary Poppins is about to celebrate its 50th anniversary. After showing two clips from the movie to the D23 audience, Bailey introduced Jason Schwartzman and B. J. Novak, who portray the famous composing team of Richard and Robert Sherman, respectively, in the film. In a big surprise moment, Schwartzman and Novak welcomed Mary Poppins composer Richard Sherman on stage to greet the excited audience. The two talented actors then engaged the crowd in a rousing, confetti-filled, grand finale sing-along performance of “Let’s Go Fly a Kite,” the classic song from Mary Poppins.
Two-time Academy Award®–winner Emma Thompson and fellow double Oscar®-winner Tom Hanks topline Disney’s Saving Mr. Banks, which is directed by John Lee Hancock (The Blind Side,The Rookie) and produced by Alison Owen, Ian Collie and Philip Steuer. Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith wrote the screenplay.
When Walt Disney’s daughters begged him to make a movie of their favorite book, P.L. Travers’Mary Poppins, he made them a promise—one that he didn’t realize would take 20 years to keep. In his quest to obtain the rights, Walt comes up against a curmudgeonly, uncompromising writer who has absolutely no intention of letting her beloved magical nanny get mauled by the Hollywood machine. But, as the books stop selling and money grows short, Travers reluctantly agrees to go to Los Angeles to hear Disney’s plans for the adaptation. For those two short weeks in 1961, Walt Disney pulls out all the stops. Armed with imaginative storyboards and chirpy songs from the talented Sherman brothers, Walt launches an all-out onslaught on P.L. Travers, but the prickly author doesn’t budge. He soon begins to watch helplessly as Travers becomes increasingly immovable and the rights begin to move further away from his grasp. It is only when he reaches into his own childhood that Walt discovers the truth about the ghosts that haunt her, and together they set Mary Poppins free to ultimately make one of the most endearing films in cinematic history.
Saving Mr. Banks releases in theaters December 13, 2013, limited, December 20, 2013, wide.


Excuse me but yes, yes, yes, yes, , yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   This.... this is THE film,  I've been wanting to see.  Ever since this film was just a rumor, I was a little nervous but also excited.  This film is going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     If you wish to read more of my thoughts, check out my cross over with R8.   But, I can't wait.    Oh, and here's something super duper awesome.
















Jason Schwartzman and BJ Novak play the Sherman Brothers in Saving Mr Banks. Richard Sherman joined them to close the panel out with a rousing rendition of "Let's Go Fly A Kite".



That touches my heart.  That is so sweet, of course, this doesn't surprise me knowing Richard.  He's always loved seeing the fans.





Muppets Most Wanted











Disney’s Muppets Most Wanted takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour, selling out grand theaters in some of Europe’s most exciting destinations, including Berlin, Madrid and London. But mayhem follows the Muppets overseas, as they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper headed by Constantine—the World’s Number One Criminal and a dead ringer for Kermit—and his dastardly sidekick Dominic, aka Number Two, portrayed by Gervais. Fey is featured as Nadya, a feisty prison guard. Bobin co-wrote the screenplay with Nicholas Stoller, who is also executive producer with John G. Scotti. Featuring music from Academy Award®-winning songwriter Bret McKenzie, Muppets Most Wanted” hits the big screen March 21, 2014.



I have mixed feeling on this one.  On the one hand, this is one property that Disney bought that I liked to see more done with,  especially regarding the parks but we aren't  here to discuss that  I liked the 2011 film. .  But I can't help but to be reminded of The Great Muppet Caper reading about this one and while I don't mind cameos from what I saw of the trailer, there are way too many Disney Channel cameos and that is going to date this film.  No one is going to remember Debby Ryan in 20 years.  So,  I'm on the fence.  I honestly wish, they weren't promoting this as a sequel because the old Muppet films didn't follow a sequel formula.  They were all films, you could watch without the knowledge of what happened in the previous film. They were standalone films and that to me works better for these characters.




Thor: The Dark World

















Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel’s Thor and Marvel’s The Avengers, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos…but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.
Starring Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano and Jaimie Alexander with Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins as Odin, Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World” is directed by Alan Taylor, produced by Kevin Feige, p.g.a., from a story by Don Payne and Robert Rodat and screenplay by Christopher L. Yost and Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, and is based on Marvel’s classic Super Hero Thor, who first appeared in the comic book Journey into Mystery No. 83 in August, 1962. The film releases November 8, 2013



Okay, even if I am a little sick of Marvel getting a lot of the attention.  My two favorite films from Phase 1 are getting sequels.  Thor and Captain America.  Those to me were the best Marvel films and the first Thor film was easily the best Marvel film.  I'd place it higher then The Avengers, honestly. Heck,  Avengers wouldn't even in my top 3 Marvel films.  No, those would be Thor, Captain America,  Iron Man.   I'm so excited to see what is brought to the table with this new Thor film.




Captain America: The Winter Solider


















Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier stars Chris Evans and Anthony Mackie were on hand to greet the audience, which was then treated to a glimpse of Captain America in action via clips chosen especially for D23. Kevin Feige riveted the audience with details of the action-packed story’s highlights.
After the cataclysmic events in New York with The Avengers, Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier finds Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with the Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.
Based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series, first published in 1941, Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier is produced by Kevin Feige, directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, from a screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely, and stars Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie, Cobie Smulders, Frank Grillo, Emily VanCamp and Hayley Atwell, with Robert Redford as Alexander Pierce and Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. In theaters April 4, 2014.



Again as I said,  the first Cap film is one of my favorite superhero films and part of what made that one work was Cap himself and the fact that it was a period piece.  It just worked better that way.  Cap is a great character and we've already seen that he can work in modern times in The Avengers. So, I have very little worries regarding this film.



Guardians of The Galaxy





















Based on the Marvel comic book that first appeared in 1969, Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is produced by Kevin Feige, directed by James Gunn from a story by Nicole Perlman and Gunn and screenplay by James Gunn, and stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan, Djimon Hounsou, with Benicio del Toro, John C. Reilly and Glenn Close. The film is slated for an August 1, 2014 release.



I gotta give Marvel credit for this one.  To a non comic reader as myself, this concept seems weird but Marvel is willing to try it unlike a certain comic company that keeps relying on one hero to save them.  I might see this one, just out of curiosity but I can't say I'm too interested.   Ah well.









TV


At the same Pixar Panel , the Halloween special, Toy Story of Terror was previewed with the first 10 minutes.  The TS cast will be reprising their roles and this'll be airing on ABC on October 16th.  Here's hoping that I like this more then TS3.     And in a nice callback to the first film, Combat Carl will be an actual character voiced by Carl Weathers.









Again, check later for more updates.

2 comments:

  1. The Mickey Mouse short is, from memory, an unfinished short made in Walt Disney's time. Basically they'd done a bit of concept work and whatnot and a bit of recording I think, before scrapping the project or running out of money or something. Hence why it's classed as being 'lost'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See there have been conflicting reports on the short, either way, it should be fun.

      Delete