Take A Look at Disney

12/3/13

Christmas Shorts Showcase: Mickey's Orphans



Hello & welcome to the first Christmas Shorts Showcase of the season.  Join me as I take a look at Mickey's Orphans.  Now,  this was an alright short that was played mostly for laughs.  With that out of the way, let's begin.


The Plot


We start the short with Silent Night playing (oh, the irony) as a poor lady comes to the footstep of Mickey and Minnie's house to drop off a basket.  Mickey are celebrating the holiday as they hear the basket being dropped off. We hear Pluto start to bark and that is when the trouble starts. At first, it seems like just one orphan kitten but then we see a horde of orphans.  Too many to count as they start to destruct and destroy the house.
















Yeah, and things only go downhill from here.   We see the orphans messing with Pluto and destroying the house.















I felt bad for Pluto here,  as he had to suffer the orphans.  At one point,  Minnie gives Mickey the idea to dress up as Santa Claus and deliver presents.  So, Mickey and Pluto dress up as Santa and one of his reindeer and deliver the presents.  Though,  Mickey could've done better as he delivered some rather destructive presents such as saws, hammers,  and stuff you should not give young kids.  I guess that means Pooh is no longer the worst Disney Santa.
















This scene just made me chuckle because that has to be the most makeshift Santa, I've seen in any Disney short.  We then see the orphans messing around the house some more such as shooting pop guns at Mickey or chasing poor Pluto.  Or perhaps the worst putting a hot ember down Mickey's shorts.   Good Lord, that  is just cruel.  These little monsters are just brats.  Oh, don't worry, they put it out.
















These little monsters do almost everything to ruin the holiday of my favorite cartoon character and his family. I'd almost want to see Donald mess with them.  At the end of the short, we see Minnie call the brats over to the Christmas tree as to give them presents and they tear the tree apart and leave nothing on it.  Nothing but the branches and that is how the short ends.   Now, this may sound like I don't like this short but that's not the case, I'm conflicted here.  It's funny, yes but at points, the orphans almost seem mean-spirited in their actions towards Mickey & Minnie, who took them in and wanted to give them a good Christmas.  This is nowhere near as great as Mickey's Good Deed.  Easily, the greatest Christmas short and one of the all time best Mickey shorts but it's not trying to be that type of heartwarming short.  So,  I can't be mad at it for what it is.  This isn't one of my favorite Mickey shorts but it does a good job of showing how  willing Mickey and Minnie are to help people and also show a good paternal side of Mickey and Minnie as they put up with the orphan's  unruly antics.


Characters

Mickey Mouse voiced by Walt Disney














I have to give Mickey a lot of credit, he put up with a lot of crud from those monsters while trying to give them a good Christmas.  And that right there out of everything, that had to be my favorite moment from the entire short.


Minnie Mouse voiced by Marcellite Garner














Just as with Mickey, Minnie also got to show her maternal side.  That moment that stands out to me is when one of the orphans, who is rather jittery and it almost looks as though, he needs to go to the bathroom, asks Minnie for a candy cane. That was perhaps a sweet and endearing moment.


Pluto  voiced by Pinto Colvig















I truly felt bad for Pluto as he had to deal with orphans pulling on him and at one point, playing tug of war with the pup.  I wanted to save Pluto from these unruly monsters.


The Orphans















Now, yes I've been calling the Orphans brats and monsters throughout the review but that is mostly for laughs.  They were being kids but someone should've brought them in line.  I did find their antics to grow a little tiresome as the short went on but they didn't stop me from liking the short.



My Final Thoughts


This short is not bad but I don't know, if it's one I'll return to anytime soon but you might wanna check it out for a Christmas laugh.  Join me tomorrow for a Music Fridays Christmas special as we celebrate a...


Princess Christmas


No comments:

Post a Comment