Take A Look at Disney

5/29/11

Top 6 Dinseyland/Disney World Commercials from The '70s & '80s

Ah, commercials. What is about old commercials that bring us nostalgia? I mean The Critic has now done three commercial specials and he is right those old commercials do live in their own little world. Today, I'll be counting down the Top 6 Disneyland/Disney World Commercials from the '70s & '80s. You can expect a list of '90s commercials shortly but let’s get through this list.

6. Eastern Airlines "Can You Fly" Disney World Commercial



This commercial here came out in 1971 and this has to be one of the more popular commercials. It is a cross promotion with Eastern Airlines. In this commercial we see this girl who is dreaming and in her dream is she is apparently in Wonderland and she comes across many different Disney characters asking if they know the way to Disney World. None of them can help her until she comes across Peter Pan and he asks her if she can fly. She doesn't think so but then she wakes up and we see her in her hotel room at Disney World.  Two words to describe this commercial: Nightmare Fuel.  The characters in this commercial look creepy as anything and Peter Pan just comes off like a jerk here.  Though I do like that they gave this commercial a story with a beginning, middle and end. Not something you see with commercials.  Not the best but not the worst either. 



5. The Cosby Kids at Disney World




While The Cosby Show never got a Disney World special, The Cosby Kids were featured in this commercial promoting the resort.  Two Words for this commercial: Cheesy and Awesome.  This commercial is so cheesy with the taking the Mary Poppins song, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and reworking it to make the song about Disney World. That is so cheesy yet I find it so awesome at the same time. This is genius way of promoting the park. Honestly, this is one time I wish they try something like this again but release the song as a download on ITunes. Seriously if anyone can find an MP3 of this commercials version of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, please let me know. This song is so awesome in its cheesiness. The only thing missing from this commercial is Bill Cosby. Now if they had gotten Bill Cosby to appear in the commercial, this would be higher on the list.


4.  "The Only Way Out is A Long Way Down" - Splash Mountain Disneyland




This commercial is awesome as it captures what I love about Splash Mountain. At first, it makes you think it is a nice and peaceful ride but then you come to the drop. The ride is very deceptive. I don't if I saw this right but I think one the people riding this lost their hat while going down the drop. This is more like a trailer for the ride and I like that. We should have more ride trailers.


3.  Peace at Disneyland



This commercial here just makes Disneyland seem peaceful, calming and relaxing. Honestly, the music in this commercial almost puts me to sleep. Because it is so relaxing.  Now I will say that I was bummed when they showed Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as I never got to go on that myself.



2.  American Airlines "The Disneyland Cabin"




Okay first of all, what kid wouldn't want an entire cabin on a plane that is just Disney? That is awesome. This makes me a little bummed that I never got to sit in a Disneland cabin on an airplane. That would have been so cool.  Anyways, this commercial is cute, the litte boy's Mouse Ears have broken. So the flight attendant gives him a new pair. Simple and cute. But still an entire Disneyland Cabin. That is awesome.




1. This Is EPCOT Center




This commerical right here makes EPCOT look like a lot more fun that it was back in the '80s and it is very fast and everything is jumping at you. I think that's why I  like this one so much and plus Mickey on top of the spehre that is beyond cool. 



Now these are my  Top 6 Disneyland/Disney World Commericals of the ‘70s and ‘80s. Are there any old ones that stick out to you. Oh, I know I didn't include any of these on the list but here  you go. The classic "I'm Going to Disney World:."   Can't talk about old Disney commercials withou touching upon these.





This was the very first "I Going To Disney World" commerical that was shot in 1987 and these commericals have become a Superbowl tradition that continue today. In fact, Drew Brees has even uttered this now famous line. Really, this is the closest I'll come to watching the Superbowl as I'm not a sports fan.






That line is timeless. Now I'm not a sports fan but these commericals always get me in the heart but I didn't include one on the list because there are other Disney commericals that I wanted to show. Again, I hope that you have enjoyed this retro Countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment