Take A Look at Disney

11/4/12

Can We Talk about Girl Meets World




Recently, it was just announced that Disney Channel is developing a sequel series to Boy Meets World.  The title would be Girl Meets World.  (Real, original!)     Now the premise would be in this series, we would follow, Cory and Topanga's pre teen daughter.   Now it has not been said if Disney Channel will try and get the original actors,   Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel.   (Update Ben Savage and Danielle Fishell have signed on).  Now, that would be nice because it would actually make the show feel authentic and if they do this, could they also try and get Shawn and Eric as well.   Even though, I like Feeny, I say keep him out of this show because if Disney is serious about this show, they need to try and make this show, it's own.    





Part of the reason, that I say this show should stand on it's own is because when sequel series or just sequels come about they tend to repeat the original and that is my fear with this show.   If you want a bad example of a show that does this, just look at Saved by The Bell: The New Class.  (Better yet, don't because it's bad!)




Now there are some ways to make this show different and different topic that they could tackle such internet privacy.   Also,   I think that making the main character, a girl was a smart move as it could open more doors for this new show and not feel exactly like the first show. By the way, what do you think her name will be?    Now their is another big question, why?   The series ended in 2000 and it's been 12 years since then. So, why now?   I'm also sure that some of you may be thinking why Disney Channel instead of ABC?    Well,  I think I can answer that one as the ABC of today is a completely different animal then when Boy Meets World was on there.  So, I guess Disney Channel makes sense but I honestly think that ABC Family may have been the better channel to put this show as it could open the show to more topics because as it is Disney Channel is geared towards kids and while the main characters of Boy Meets World were children, it was a family show whereas I find most of the shows on Disney sans, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls, and Good Luck Charlie (yes, I like that show) to be kid's sitcoms and there is a difference between kids sitcoms and family sitcoms as kids sitcoms can't get away with as much as family sitcoms can. But back to my other question, why?    I just don't understand. Was someone actually laboring for a new Boy Meets World TV show. Don't get me wrong, I liked it but I don't think that it's something anybody has thought about for a while.  Also kids that watch Disney Channel today may not know of Boy Meets World.  Unless they still show reruns on ABC Family ?   I don't know but I know they used to.  


 That's another reason right there this show would need to be able to stand on it's own as it's been a while since Boy Meets World ended.  In order for the show to stand on it's own, they need the new characters to be interesting and be able to stand on their own and not be clones of characters of the past show.   Because I don't want to tune into this show and point to a character and say that's the new Shawn because to me that is sign of laziness when you just copy character traits.   Now,  I'm not saying that the daughter character can't  have traits of Topanga and Cory.  I mean kids do pick up on traits from their parents but those should not make up the character.   That is my biggest concern with this new show. I'm willing to give it a chance as  I liked Boy Meets World.  (College seasons were my favorite BTW).      At the end of the day, I'll just have to wait and see how this show turns out.   Though their is one good way to end this article.










No comments:

Post a Comment