Take A Look at Disney

1/1/13

Top 6 Things That I've Watched that Were Sursprisngly Good





So, now I've counted down my Top 6 posts of 2012. Now I'll be counting down the 6 things that I watched this year that surprised in how good they were. Now these aren't my favorite things I've watched for the year but rather the things that A. I knew nothing about or B. knew little about or saw it as something that was going to be bad or boring.



6.   Farmyard Symphony


















This honestly had to be one of the best shorts that I watched last year.  Honestly before YouTube reccomended this short to me, I'd never heard of it.  But can I say that I'm happy I watched it because it in my opinion is one of the most fun and fascinating.   For those that didn't see my review of this short, this short is basically a day in the life of different farmyard animals and the way the events in the short was so simple but it worked so well.


5.  Newsies














Yeah, expect this to be recurring film on A Look at Disney from now on.   I'd known about this film from reading and the most I saw of it at the time was Nostalgia Chick's review of Newsies.  Which to be honest, I don't really remember much of but I've tried to block The Dark Nella Saga out of my head. (That was bad!) Anyways,  I knew of this film's past and that it wasn't really liked but what can I say,  this movie surprised me. There were only two characters in the film that I could not stand.  And even though these weren't the best singers, I loved the music in this film.   It certainly isn't a perfect musical as it wasn't even meant to be one originally but I think it works well and I love the story but really the big thing that I really liked about this film are the characters.



4. Mickey's Nutcracker
















Just as with Farmyard Symphony, I'd never heard of this special until I went through a list of Disney Christmas specials on the Christmas Specials Wiki and quite honestly, the main reason, I even watched it was because I saw this and thought maybe it would wash away the taste of that awful Nutcracker short and boy did it ever.   This may become a new Christmas special that I'll watch every year, sure it's just a show that was filmed at Disneyland but I think that adds to the charm of this special.   It was just really cute and enjoyable.   I really suggest this special to people.



3. Gravity Falls













I have to say that I've become a fan of this show and it in my opinion is one of the best new animated shows out there. It is just so funny. As I said in my original review of this show,  the ads for this show turned me off because it made it look like another dumb kid's show but that really isn't the case and it's nice to have something new on Disney Channel like this.   Now I'll admit that I think that this show is better then Phineas and Ferb, which while still good I feel is starting to show it's age.  (Sorry, Fusionater)   This show is just so funny and so much fun and all of the characters are likable and I love all of the supernatural elements to this show. If you haven't watched it, seriously go watch this show.  This cartoon is up there with MLP and Phineas and Ferb as being one of the best animated shows of this generation.   Of course,  I'm probably preaching to the choir here as I know there are a lot of fans of this show on ME.   By the way in my original review, I said I didn't care for Mabel. Well, let me say that I've come around and she is perhaps my favorite character on the show alongside Dipper.  



2.  The Little House
















Seriously, people you need to watch this short.  I loved the style of this short. As I said in the Showcase for this short,  it had a Little Golden Book feel to it and The Little House is one of the sweetest characters in any short I've watched.  I loved getting to watch her life and felt for her when things weren't going her way. Also add in that this short was narrated by Sterling Holloway, my all time favorite voice actor (like I hadn't made that clear in the past), it all comes together for a beautiful short.





1. Sofia The First: Once Upon A Princess 













Now this probably wasn't my favorite thing I watched last year. No, those two reviews haven't been posted yet.   But this is the thing that surprised me in how good it was.   I normally have a disdain for Disney Junior shows for either being boring as hell or some of the ways they use classic Disney characters.  Like I swear Hook in Jake and The Neverland Pirates look a freakin' bath toy.   Anyways, this movie was a pilot for a Disney Junior show that'll start airing this month.  This movie was the right start. It was simple and sweet, all of the characters again were likable. I really loved how they found a way to work in the Classic Disney Princesses by saying that with Sofia having her amulet, they are all connected.  So, it won't seem random when these ladies appear.  Also and perhaps most importantly of all even though this show was set in a land with magic, all of the relationships felt real and you could understand the jealousy that Sofia's new sister, Amber had. (Well, it took me a while but just go read Goofiest Mistakes 3 for that).   In my review of this I said I probably won't check out any more episodes of this. Well, I think I may recant that sentiment because of how much I liked this show.  I may even review the pilot to see if it was as good as this was.



So, there you have it, The Top 6 Things that I watched this years that surprised in how good they were. Now for those of you waiting for a Worst list. Not gonna happen because I've already done a Worst Things I've Watched for Review and while I've watched some bad stuff this year, none of it is as bad as those 6 and more to the point, I really don't like repeating myself when it comes to countdowns or reviews.






No comments:

Post a Comment