Take A Look at Disney

1/7/13

Classic Shorts Showcase: Mother Goose Goes Hollywood

What did I just watch? Seriously, this has to be one of the strangest Silly Symphony shorts that I've ever watched. I'm not sure how to explain what I just saw.





The Plot



Well, there really isn't much of a plot here. Rather a premise. The basic premise of this short is that it takes popular celebrities from this era and puts them in the roles of nursery rhyme characters.  Now keep in mind that this short came in '38.   Did it work? Well, I don't know.  I'll admit that I didn't know how of the celebrities being parodied here and I do think that at times, I actually found that aspect of this short annoying and distracting.   As I said there was no one main character or narrative to this short. Instead with this short, we saw stuff such as W.C. Fields as Humpty Dumpty  or Katherine Hepburn as Little Bo Peep.  It was okay but this short was just weird in how did it the parody stuff.




Memorable Moments


Since there was really no one character that was focused on in this short. I'll instead just focus on some Memorable Moments.



Mother Goose MGM Logo

















When the short opened, it opened with a Mother Goose parody of the classic MGM logo along with Mother Goose doing the roar.


Katherine Hepburn Bo Peep



















Now the other big moment that comes to mind for me is Bo Peep as played by Hepburn.   It was bit more annoying then anything else in the rest of the short.




Donald Duck Cameo

















During the Old King Cole segment, Donald makes a cameo that comes completely out of nowhere.




My Final Thoughts



I'm not sure how I feel about this short. It's not bad but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not. It was just so weird.   

No comments:

Post a Comment